Sunday, July 1, 2012

Twisted Radicalism

Just recently someone near and dear to me called me a "twisted radical." Ever since then it has been eating at me, that label, and I thought I'd address it here.

The more I thought about it, the more I realized there's nothing twisted or radical about my beliefs, just their interpretation in the wider world and in the media. As a liberal progressive, I find this list to be pretty conclusive when it comes to my core beliefs, and I dare anyone to find the "twisted" or "radical" notions therein;
  • As the greatest nation on the the earth, I find it incredible we are the only industrialized nation without a national healthcare system. Twisted!

  • I'd like to take us back to Clinton-era tax rates, when we balanced the budget and everybody was rich as hell. Radical!

  • I don't think ANY group in America should be ostracized or deprived of rights, and at this time, that means the right to marry. Gay folks ought to have every liberty any non-gay folks have, and I can't see any rationale otherwise that still maintains the American sense of justice we all grew up with. Twisted! Radical!

  • Corporations are NOT people. The are faceless conglomerations of the hope of a lot of people to make money, not to go out and make a better nation/world. Investors rarely make the moral considerations of their dollars their top investment concern, whereas people regularly make moral choices that trump their potential for profit. One should be empowered, the other extricated from it's ruinous clutch on our national fortunes, and I leave it to my reader(s) to determine which group I'm referring do what. TWISTED!

  • Religion is pleasant, but should still, as our Founders maintained, be kept well away from politics. As Frank Herbert wrote;
    "When religion and politics travel in the same cart, the riders believe nothing can stand in their way. Their movement becomes headlong - faster and faster and faster. they put aside all thoughts of obstacles and forget that a precipice does not show itself to the man in a bland rush until it's too late."

  • Finally, some way must be found to get this tide of money out of politics, Citizens United cannot stand the test of time.
PS: Didn't even get into the Right's war on women's issues.

I guess I am a twisted radical after all, so be it.